June 6, 2005
The Freedom of Information Protection of Privacy Act (RSBC 1996) governs the collection, use and disclosure of personal information by public bodies in British Columbia. The Pacific National Exhibition, (herein referred to as the “PNE”) a non-profit charity organization owned by the City of Vancouver operating from Hastings Park, and annually organizing and holding an annual fair and Prize Home Lottery, operating an amusement park under the name Playland at Hastings Park and managing City of Vancouver properties which include but are not limited to the Pacific Coliseum, Rollerland, Agrodome, Forum & Garden Auditorium, conform to and comply with the provisions of the Act.
PNE’s Commitment to Protecting the Privacy of Personal Information
The PNE is committed to respecting and protecting the confidentiality of any personal information that our customers and potential customers entrust with us. This Policy reflects that commitment.
What is Personal Information?
In attempt to better our products and services, the PNE collects a variety of personal information from you. Examples of such personal information would be contact particulars, gender, age, family status, or various preferences and interests.
Collecting and Using Personal Information
The PNE is committed to collecting and using information only for the purpose for which it was gathered and only with the consent of the person whose information it belongs. The PNE does not sell or rent your personal information to anyone.
Below are reasons in which the PNE uses the information collected:
1. To create and maintain effective business relationships.
The PNE will collect information from its customers and other individuals with whom the PNE comes into contact to confirm identity and related contact information. Additional personal information may be requested dependant upon the specific situation. For example, the PNE may collect bank and credit information for customers or suppliers to set up credit and payment plans for accounts.
2. To further develop, enhance and market products and services.
The PNE may collect personal information regarding customer’s specific interests in events on the PNE grounds or specific interests relating to the Fair, Playland, concerts and/or shows that visit the PNE grounds. This information may be used to develop new products and services and to improve existing products and services. Such information may also be used to help us better market and promote our products and services to our customers.
3. To understand customer needs and preferences.
The PNE keeps personal information for the purpose of providing personalized service. For example, if a customer wishes to receive information pertaining to a specific event or product, when there is information available pertaining to that issue, such information can be sent only to those customers who expressed an interest in receiving it. Personal information may be utilized in connection with on-line communications with our customers in order to customize the look and scope of activities offered to that customer on-line.
4. To communicate with our customers or potential customers
The PNE, with consent of the person whose information is being used may send information via direct marketing or through electronic means to communicate to that person about various future events, promotions or proposals relating to the PNE.
Disclosing Personal Information
Situations where the PNE may be required to disclose personal information about its customers or other individuals with whom the PNE does business are varied. Some examples include the following:
- The PNE may disclose personal information to a related company, or to a contracted third party agent, for the purpose of providing services to customers or communicating with the PNE’s database, for example, an outsourced mail-house. Such disclosure is done on a confidential basis, and the PNE requires the third party to which the information is disclosed to use that information only for the specific purposes for which it was provided to them.
- The PNE may disclose information for the purpose of collecting on a debt obligation owing to the PNE.
- The PNE may disclose a customer’s personal information to a third party to perform research on the PNE’s behalf for the purpose of customer service and/or business planning activities. Such disclosure is done on a confidential basis, and the PNE requires the third party to which the information is disclosed to use that information only for the specific purposes for which it was provided to them and for use as approved by the customer.
- The PNE may disclose a customer’s personal information to a third party associated with the PNE as a sponsor or supplier when that third party desires to communicate an offer of merit to PNE customers in light of the customers’ expressed interest in PNE activities. Such disclosure is done only with respect to those customers who consent to such disclosure. Such disclosure is done on a confidential basis, and the PNE requires the third party to which the information is disclosed to use that information only for the specific purposes for which it was provided to them.
- The PNE is also obligated by statute, to disclose personal information where required by law or for the purposes of law enforcement.
Any disclosure of personal information by the PNE is done in conformity with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The PNE carries out its commitment to personal information security in several ways:
- The PNE will protect the confidential nature of personal information when dealing with other organizations, and the PNE will require them to meet the same standard as it does when dealing with personal information it has placed in their trust.
- The PNE will honour any reasonable requests made to review and update your own personal information, and to remove your information from areas where its use is no longer approved by you. The PNE will take reasonable steps to process these requests in a timely manner.
Pacific National Exhibition
2901 East Hastings Street