BC Beef Stroganoff with BC Fresh Potato Gnocchi
Prepared on August 20.
Enjoy this hearty stroganoff, made with tenderloin beef, BC red wine, and pillowy, luscious gnocchi.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 75 minutes
Difficulty level: 2
For the BC Beef Stroganoff
2 tbsp Canola Oil
1 lb BC Beef Tenderloin or Tri Tip Steak
2 tbsp BC Butter
2 large Shallots
1 cup BC Mushrooms (any type)
1 cup Beef Stock
½ cup BC Red Wine
1/2 cup BC Whipping Cream
½ cup BC Sour Cream
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tbsp BC Fresh Dill
2 tbsp BC Fresh Parsley
to taste Salt and Pepper
For the BC Fresh Potato Gnocchi
1½ cup/ 3 medium BC Russet Potatoes
2 BC Egg Yolks
1 tsp Kosher or Sea Salt
½ tsp Black Pepper, ground
2 tsp Butter, melted
¼ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 cup Flour
2 tbsp Butter
Instructions for the BC Beef Stroganoff
- Dice shallots very small and set aside.
- Remove the stem and slice mushrooms in 1/4 inch slices, set aside.
- Roughly chop the dill and parsley and set aside.
- Slice the beef against the grain into 1/4 inch slices.
- Heat enough canola oil in a pan to cover the bottom.
- Carefully add the beef to the hot pan and brown on each side and season with salt and pepper. Pour the beef and all juices onto a plate and set aside.
- Heat butter in the same pan. Add the mushrooms, season and sauté mushrooms until brown. Add shallots and sauté two minutes more.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and reduce until 50% remains.
- Add the beef stock, whipping cream, sour cream and Dijon mustard. Stir until combined.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer until sauce reduces to desired thickness. About 7 minutes.
- Add the beef and all juices back to the pan and simmer for 90 seconds to coat and reheat the beef.
- Remove from heat, add herbs and adjust seasonings.
Instructions For the BC Fresh Potato Gnocchi
- Peel and dice russet potatoes into 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch dice. Place in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Strain the potatoes and let sit in the strainer to dry for 10 minutes.
- Start a pot of boiling salted water.
- Place the dried potatoes into a mixing bowl and mash with a fork until smooth.
- Add egg yolks, salt, pepper, butter and cheese. Mix until combined.
- Add ﬂour and mix. When all of the ﬂour is combined, remove the dough to a lightly ﬂoured board and roll to make the dough 3/4 inch in diameter. Add ﬂour as needed to avoid sticking.
- Using small knife or a bowl scraper, cut the gnocchi into 1 inch pieces.
- Roll the gnocchi in a fork to create the traditional grooves while using your foreﬁnger to create a divot in the back of the gnocchi. Place on a plate to move the gnocchi to the boiling salted water.
- Gently place gnocchi in the water and simmer to cook.
- While cooking, heat butter in a frying pan and heat until foam subsides.
- When done, the gnocchi will ﬂoat to the top. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the gnocchi and place it into hot butter. Fry until lightly brown on both sides.
- Serve BC Beef Stroganoff over fresh BC Gnocchi.