BC Tomato Braised Chicken Tinga Tacos With Pickled Red Onion And Pico De Gallo
Prepared on August 22.
Try out these mouth watering chicken tacos with pickled onions and authentic pico De Gallo.
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Difficulty level: 2
For the Chicken:
1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbsp Oregano
½ tsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Onion Powder
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
3 tsp Chipotle Powder (Optional)
3 Juice of Limes
8 BC Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless
¼ cup Canola Oil
2 tsp Sea Salt
12-18 6” (15 cm) Flour Tortillas
For the Tinga Sauce:
1 medium BC White Onion, finely diced
4 cloves BC Garlic, minced
2 ¼ lbs/7-8 medium BC Field Tomatoes, ½ inch dice
Pinch Salt and Pepper
1-3 Chipotles in Adobo Sauce
1-3 tbsp Adobo Sauce (Optional)
¾ cup Cane Sugar Cola/Jarritos Mexican Cola
2/3 cup Tomato Paste
For the Pickled Red Onions:
1 cup BC Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Sea Salt
1 tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 medium BC Red Onion, thinly sliced
For the Pico de Gallo:
2 cups/3 medium BC Field Tomatoes, small dice
⅓ cup BC White Onion, finely diced
¼ cup BC Cilantro, rough chop
3 Limes, juiced
Pinch Salt and Pepper
Instructions For the Chicken Tinga:
1. To prepare the Chicken Tinga, combine the first 8 ingredients in a large-sized bowl to make the marinade.
2. Add the BC Chicken Thighs and combine.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for a few minutes to overnight.
4. Heat ¼ cup canola oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan until smoking.
5. Gently add the marinated chicken, season with sea salt, and quickly sear on both sides.
6. Remove the chicken from the pan. Discard excess oil.
7. Place the pan back on the heat to make the sauce. Sauté the BC White Onions and BC Garlic for 1–2 minutes.
8. Add the diced BC Field Tomatoes, then season with salt and pepper and combine.
9. Add the chipotles and adobo sauce followed by the cola.
10. Bring to a boil and adjust seasonings as needed.
11. Add the seared, (but still raw) chicken thighs back into the pan.
12. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
13. Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred.
14. Meanwhile, turn the heat to high under the sauce and add tomato paste.
15. Reduce the sauce to desired consistency.
16. Add the shredded chicken back to the sauce and combine.
Instructions For the Pickled Red Onions:
17. Combine the BC Apple Cider Vinegar, salt, and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil to dissolve.
18. Remove from the heat and add thinly sliced BC Red Onions.
19. Stir to combine and let sit until ready.
Instructions For the Pico de Gallo:
20. Add all ingredients to a bowl.
21. Adjust seasonings.
22. Add the Chicken Tinga to the flour tortillas, garnish with Pickled Red Onions and BC Field Tomato Pico de Gallo (or other garnish as desired), and serve.
23. Other Suggested Garnishes: BC Sour Cream, shredded BC Green Leaf Lettuce, lime wedges, Queso, Cotija, or any desired BC cheese.