Coconut and Peach Meringues with Crème Anglaise
Prepared on August 20.
Fresh peaches pair beautifully with the soft notes of coconut and meringue, while a luscious crème anglaise brings hints of BC ginger and lemongrass.
Preparation time: 30
Cook time: 20
Difficulty level: 2
Ingredients for the Crème Anglaise
4 cups Whole BC Milk
1 thumb BC Ginger, peeled and sliced
1/2 stock BC Lemongrass, bruised
1/2 tsp 5-Spice Powder (optional)
Pinch Sea Salt
12 BC Egg Yolks
1 1/3 cups Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
For the Toasted Coconut Meringues
6BC Egg Whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 tsp Vanilla
2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
2 cups Toasted Coconut
6 BC Peaches, diced
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add BC Milk, BC Ginger, BC Lemongrass, 5-spice powder, and sea salt
- Simmer for 10 minutes to infuse the flavours.
- While simmering, turn your attention to the meringue.
- Whip BC Egg whites in a mixer until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and 1 tsp of vanilla.
- Gradually add 2/3 cup sugar and whip until shiny and stiff peaks can be held.
- Add dollops of meringue to the simmering milk and poach for 2 minutes per side.
- Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon. Store the poached meringues in the fridge.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together BC Egg yolks and 1 1/3 cups sugar until thick.
- Strain in hot milk slowly while whisking to avoid cooking the egg.
- Place mixture back into the pot and over low heat, stir constantly with a wooden spoon and cook until slightly thick or 150F .
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tsp of vanilla.
- Strain into a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap until cold.
- To assemble, place 4oz of sauce into each of 4-6 dessert bowls.
- Top with BC Peaches.
- Roll cooled meringues in toasted coconut and place on top of the fruit.